Saturday, April 3, 2010

My First Etail Fail - Tiffany's

My love/hate relationship with Tiffany.com began some time ago, and so my loathe to use their online site runs deep. Like, mantle deep. They have huge potential, but their E-commerce website sucks.

So, here's my beefs -
  • First off, it's all too much. We know you have products for all price points... I don't care about the products too, too outside of my particular budget, and I really don't want to bleed time out my eyeballs looking at crap I'm not interested in. Make it all more personal, like I'm not the billionth customer you've sold jewelry to!
  • Secondly, oh my god. get a view all page - for all your pages, damnit! Not, you know - just a few of them! Again, bleeding time out my eyeballs just navigating your page. Hate with a capital H.
  • Third, it looks pretty, but it's all a huge waste of my time; all the fancy mosaic product layouts and hover images may get some designers hard, but it won't actually sell your product. Just sayin' it's sales that really count, right? Right.
  • Lastly, their free shipping threshold is 300$. Seriously? I have to spend 300 clams before you can shell out 8 bucks to ship it to me, really, really???


Now, after all that criticism, onto the praise - 
  • They've got something right, because they can get the hits on the page, and that's another thing that really counts. 
  • They do a great job of branding, but they need to extend their savvy in that arena to the E-tail problems they're facing right now.
  • They have a huge product inventory, and it appeals to consumers of all levels of style and taste. Huge point here though, they need to do a better job showcasing it in the 2 minutes you get of a consumer's time.

Let's face it, the real problem is that the Etail market is totally flooded, and you can get just about anything, at almost any price point. Case in point, cheap cashmere is turning parts of China into a dustbowl. In the end though, you do get what you pay for, caveat emptor!

No comments:

Post a Comment